Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Jinx of July 1st


I was so excited about July 1st being a great day for once in my life. Some people may not know this about me, but July 1st is my ever eternal jinx day of bad events. It seems that every year when this day comes along, something real bad happens to me. Seriously, it's been this way since I was 15.

So overall, I was shocked that it turned out to be a good day yesterday until our power went out for no reason for almost 4 hours last night. No thunderstorms, no possible overuse of the A/C throughout our entire apt. complex, nothing. It does this all of the time -- random outages. I dealt with it fine until now. Now that Alex is here, this can absolutely not happen on days when it happens to be 95 degrees outside, hot, & humid. Luckily, it was only 70 yesterday, but it still stays so hot in this box of an apartment. We cannot open our balcony & windows because our lousy neighbors who live below us go outside and smoke every 5 minutes, and it carries up to our apartment. Just 2 of the many reasons why we hate the apartment complex where we live... but for some reason, this place is part of God's plan for us right now. And I just accept it. But it's hard to prepare a bottle with cold tap water; the formula just doesn't mix right. Not to mention, it's hard to feed a baby by candlelight. Alright, so on to the good things about July 1st:

We bought a new car! It's a 2007 Mazda CX-7 (crossover SUV). Black cherry mica color, only 13K miles, 6 cd changer, moonroof, cloth seats, and we got a great deal on it. We bought it in Andy & Holly's neighborhood - Cuyahoga Falls. (Guys, if you're reading this, it was during the day, were you home? So sorry we didn't call or stop by, but we will see you tomorrow night!) We really needed a new car. My Camry will need a new muffler system and new shocks soon, both of which are $$$. Also, we needed more trunk space for future family trips and visits to Indiana. And when I go back to work, I wouldn't have been able to drive the "toaster" instead of my Camry since it's a stick shift. (We will miss you, toaster! It was a wonderful journey.) But we love this new ride. It makes us feel awesome when we drive it. Mark compared it to a dream last night. If we can't get a house yet, then a new car will just have to do. Yay for us!

Also, I talked to my boss about my schedule when I return to work. I proposed 2 ideas, and she was fine with either one. So for now, I will be working 7-3:30 everyday, and 2 days a week at home. I am so excited! I can still see my baby boy. I hope this helps with the transition.

And it finally happened... Baby boy smiled at Daddy yesterday, and I saw it! He was talking to him and making faces, and he smiled 2-3 times in a row. My heart just melted. I hope he smiles at me soon. As soon as he's smiling like that more often, I'll take pics y'all! Don't you worry...

No comments:

Post a Comment